Well after several nights tossing and turning, I made the decision to come back home. Essentially, I wasn’t feeling Seattle and it wasn’t feeling me. I missed New York.
But from this West Coast experience, I’ve derived three things that make the West Coast better than the East Coast:
1 – Movie Theatres/Restaurants – Can someone please explain to me why the fuck we don’t have these on the East Coast? It’s the simple yet brilliant concept of serving food and booze to the movie-going audience. For those that have never been, I’ll elaborate. You choose a seat in the theatre, pick up your menu, select your food or beverage (or perhaps both) of choice and order it from the lovely waiter. About 20 minutes before the end of the film, your tab is deposited on your table. Really a very simple concept, but it has yet to make its way to the East Coast. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this, as I’d love to visit one here.
2 – Beer – Yes, the West Coast is chock-full of microbreweries and the beer selection is seemingly endless. Another plus for the West Coast is that alcohol is sold almost everywhere. Stop in to the local Walgreen for band-aids and vodka. Or why not head to the grocery store for some mashed potatoes and whisky?
3 – Radio – Another seemingly inexplicable weakness of East Coast living is our terrible radio. The West Coast has us beat. For instance, all along my trip I frequently heard Kings of Leon and MGMT. Upon my arrival home I heard Plain White T’s. Please note the difference in quality and if you are unable, please contact me immediately for a musical education. I now know why most people in New York have terrible taste in music. They are seldom exposed to anything of quality. That makes us of refined musical tastes true pioneers and social reformers.
Now that’s about it. The West Coasters are generally a friendly, relaxed bunch. I learned polite chit-chat from them, but when it came down to it, I missed the rude and abrasive qualities of a good New Yorker.
I’m not sure if I will be continuing with this blog. I might sign on to rant about a few choice topics, but I’ll probably just let it fade away.
You're coming back?!
ReplyDeleteDon't let it fade. I enjoy your bloggity blog.
You can buy alcohol and groceries in Jersey, yo. And any type... so I can stock up on eggs, vodka, beer and wine all at once.* No need to go 3000 miles for that!
ReplyDelete*This will most likely be the extent of my diet when I get my own place and no longer have my mom buying my groceries. Hey, beer is liquid bread.