I’m reluctant to call this a rant, but here we go.
I’ve been listening to local radio much more now that my tape deck is broke in my car. Most of it is terrible “soft” rock or “punk” rock. Occasionally, I’ll stumble onto a good channel. I found a local college station playing a great mix of music. From early 90’s punk to 30’s jazz to hours devoted to the religion we know as funk. All hail George Clinton! Unfortunately, this station has the worst DJs in the area too. They drone on in monotone voices about the music means to them or they can seem to figure out how to play the next song. I also get to listen to DJs bemoan movies that they find strange (Triplets of Belleville) and misuse words when talking about their own show (cohesive).
Later, while making dinner, I was listening to the next program on the same station. It was ACTIVIST RADIO! Apparently, a big part of the ACTIVIST MOVEMENT is showing obscure documentaries in small upstate hippy towns. Other than that, they protest and go to some lectures. One of their major gripes is the lack of YOUNG ACTIVISTS! My generation and the current college one is far too lethargic for their tastes. One possible reason is the lack of the draft. Yes, I agree with that. It was the second reason that bugged me. They stated that the youths of today don’t have the proper ACTIVIST LEADERS! This I don’t agree with. It’s not that the YOUNG ACTIVISTS of today don’t have a leader to get behind, the problem is that they all want to be a leader. We were raised that way. It’s best to be the star player because dagnamit, we’re special! We have blogs! Just like this one! Cough..cough
I remember, from my brief foray into the YOUNG ACTIVIST world of college, that meetings were a giant waste of time. The bigger in size, the more likely it was to waste more of my time. A rule was that the group had no leader and that everyone could have their turn to speak. Guess what it turned into? A three-ring circus? Nope, but throw in a juggler and fire-eater and it might just have been. Everyone took their turn ignoring all else that was said and ranted about their own issues. Academic dialogue is a thing of the past. But that’s a issue for a whole other time.
My point is our generation is self-centered and egotistic to the max. We don’t form groups easily. The closest thing we have to a lynch mob is rabid Twilight fans. Ok, so now I’m ranting and feeling all hypocritical. I must say though, the New York is seeping back into my pores and resulting in rants.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment