
I could ramble on about politics, recent abortion doctor murders or the two lucky ladies that landed themselves an extended stay in a North Korean labor camp (don’t worry, they’ll get out), but instead I’m treating you to a trip down memory lane.
In the year 2004 there was something called an “election” going on. I knew this because my friend Julia was interning at MTV at the time and part of her duties was to inspire the youth to Rock the Vote. One day Julia asked my friend Jordan and I to wander on over to Washington Square Park and to think of questions we might have for someone called Senator John Kerry. Faced with the prospect of getting our shiny faces on TV, Jordan and I did some vague prep work and headed over. Once there, I realized that this would be a low budget production as the craft services table was missing and there was no one to do my make-up. Before I knew it, they handed me an MTV microphone and sat me in front of the camera. My prepared question had something to do with North Korea, then after some prodding I mumbled a question about the youth vote. Finally, I asked the burning question on the minds of all young people, “Senator Kerry, have you ever googled yourself?” Actually, that one was provided by MTV. Go figure.
Several days later, I sat with Julia and Jordan, confident that my intelligent, well-researched and overall fabulous questions had been heard, to watch the special on MTV. The credits ran, and there in the opening moments of the show, my face flashed for about ½ a second. It was grand, it was glorious, and it was my first taste of that sweet nectar known as fame. But alas, that’s all I had, a taste. The higher powers at MTV deemed my questions unimportant and to this day I will never know John Kerry’s answer to my informed and intelligent question on North Korea. But a week later at my local bar, a high school friend made a big production out of the fact that he saw me on MTV. And so my experience was validated.
As proof, I provide a screen shot from that fateful day.
No comments:
Post a Comment