Thursday, March 5, 2009

Slow Times in Eugene


Been laying low in Eugene lately. Eva and Cade work in the morning, so I’ve been spending my time watching movies on the internet and attempting to plan my future.
Saturday, after I arrived, we went for a brief hike then out to dinner. Sunday morning we went to brunch and I had some really good French toast. Eva made dinner that night and she and I have been watching back episodes of The Office on Netflix.

On Monday night we went out to Trivia at the local bar. Although our team made a valiant effort, we lost. Last night we went to a dinner party with some of Cade’s grad school friends. Everyone out here is very chill. Although they all came off as incredibly intelligent, there was nothing pretentious about it. At least I didn’t think so. But that could be because they are surrounded by smart people and don’t have to deal with the stupids. The topic of socialism came up and I always find funny when a group of intellectuals discuss the plight of the working man.

One of my favorite parts of Oregon is the beer. There are so many microbreweries and imported ales. The selection is endless. It’s nice to sit and really enjoy a beer rather than chug one in an attempt to get drunk. I picked up a bottle from Trader Joe’s of Black Sheep Ale. It was “clean, crisp and bittersweet”, just as the label promised. I also had some Red Rose Amber Ale. I liked it as well, but it tasted like your average red beer.

The food out here was been great as well. Everyone buys local and organic and there are also plenty of vegetarians, so I’m at home.

So I should be getting big and fat sitting here eating, drinking beer and watching stuff on the internet, but I’m not. I’ve been going for a few walks and hikes. My first day, I got locked out after a trip to the coffee shop, so I walked around Amazon Park for about an hour till Eva got home. Then I went with her to walk Red, the dog, the other night. We went up to a trail in the woods and walked around till it got too dark.

We’re going to go to the coast for a hike on Saturday, so hopefully I’ll get some good pictures then. I’m really excited to see it. My dad told me to make sure I saw the Oregon coast while out here.

2 comments:

  1. You're doing every single thing I wish I could be doing right now. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all miss you ! especially ruddy dog ! i had my brother here for spring break (which is why i didn't go to seattle), and it was kinda like you were here except he was my brother. but we had the same set up in that room and everything. and we got a really nice used futon couchy thing so you have to come back so we can watch season 4 of the office !!!

    ReplyDelete