What I saw today:
I went with the g-rents down to Seaside Village today. We saw a really big ship called the Pride of India that my great-grandfather sailed on. He used to run pelts from Alaska down to California.
But better than that was the music gazebo. There was a typical 40-year-old cover band playing the cover band hits. All these people started dancing. Mostly the elderly. Then a security guard. Then this overly tan man in little black shorts. To top it off, this elderly lady in a long brown coat and matching hat came down to the gazebo with her walker. It was a four wheel walker, so she kept a good pace. She had a few minders as well. But as soon as the music got pumping, she shook off her minders and started running circles around the gazebo. Then she picked up the pace and started skipping around the gazebo with her walker. I wanted to take a picture, but I couldn’t stop staring long enough. The whole scene was incredibly surreal. Like some distorted version of a faun party in Narnia. At one point, Mr. Little Black Shorts tried to dance with Crazy Skipper Lady and he fell over. That image is burned into my mind. I almost suspect if I took a picture, it would show an empty gazebo. The magic of the dance party can’t be contained by film.
My other favorite part of the day was the pirate store. They had framed pictures of Jimmy Buffet and about 20 different versions of a sign featuring boozy parrot saying “It’s Five O’clock Somewhere”. I really wish I had money to burn so I could buy that and send it to my cocktail loving friends.
that boozy parrot sign belongs in my basement. miss you, snugglepuss.
ReplyDelete