
The other night I was waxing poetic with my friend Jill (actual friend, not figment) and I stumbled upon my theory of life. Since I’m such a generous person, I decided to share it with all three of my readers.
My theory is one of balance between three world views. To lead a happy and successful life, one must balance the larger picture, the details and the reality.
The larger picture is philosophy, religion and spirituality. Questions like “Why are we here?” and “What am I?” should be considered and mulled over throughout life. To live without this reasoning is to live unfulfilled and shallow existence. But one must also be careful not to solely focus on these questions, but also remember the reality and the details.
The reality is what is going on at the moment, the day to day. Other people, tasks at hand and making a living are all a part of the reality. As beings of society we must know how to function in the reality. Most people fall into two categories, those who can’t function in reality and those that can only function in reality.
Finally, we come to the details. These are the tiny things often taken for granted and I consider most to be bodily sensations. Smelling a rose, touching something soft, walking; all things we take for granted. To consider these things is to have appreciation for them and perhaps to feel grateful for them. One day we will all die and no longer have access to these things, and that’s what makes them important.
My point is to live life to the fullest, one must balance these three world views; consider the greater picture, living in the reality and take time to notice the details.
Up next: Hot priests in movies!
No comments:
Post a Comment