Monday, May 11, 2009


My current life situation and recent rambling blog posts have lead to a few “Are you OK?” conversations. This is my official State of the Jill speech. I’m OK. Doing fine. I finished up a freelance project today and applied for another job. Since I’ve been back, I apply to at least one almost every day. I haven’t been reading as much as I should, but I will. I’m an optimist. Also, I’m sitting in my living room right now and I can smell the lilacs in the air.

But one slightly disturbing change has taken place; the return of the anger. I knew it would come back and the West Coast Zen couldn’t last forever. The rudeness, judgmental and overall snobbish attitude of Orange County has seeped back into my pores and is oozing back out in the form of pure anger. For instance, my mom and I went to a silent art auction for Planned Parenthood this weekend. Overall, it was very nice. The crowd wasn’t friendly, but when are they ever? The true rudeness came out when the President of the Hudson Valley division stood on a folding chair to address the crowd. She gave a great speech about the state of Planned Parenthood and women’s rights in America. Unfortunately, not too many people heard the speech because they were too busy talking to each other. You’d think a room of wealthy, white adults would know how to behave in public. But as I said on my college interview, Orange County has some of the culture of NYC, but none of the class.

That’s enough griping from me. Next up, a tribute to Liz Lemon, my primetime hero. But here's some Walt Whitman to hold you over till then;

When lilacs last in the door-yard bloom’d,
And the great star early droop’d in the western sky in the night,
I mourn’d—and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.

O ever-returning spring! trinity sure to me you bring;
Lilac blooming perennial, and drooping star in the west,
And thought of him I love.

2 comments:

  1. "I want to go to there."

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to quote the entire poem, but it was too long. Whitman, that true American voice has held out for ages.

    ReplyDelete